(if the video below didn’t show up, hit refresh!)
Ever have one of those days where you find yourself in the Pit of Despair? You know, doubting yourself, beating yourself up for any and every reason possible (perhaps even making a few reasons up), replaying “that” conversation – the one where you feel like you made a fool of yourself or said something you didn’t mean?
Take 30 seconds to watch this video… and then let’s talk:
If you have never seen this movie… go out and buy it now!!! You will laugh, cry and find yourself rhyming everything!!! Your life will be changed forever… ok, ok, that might be a bit of a stretch! If you’ve seen it, you love it , right??? (total side note – my youngest brother tried to resist the love of the Princess Bride for years… and now can quote EVERY line…. makes a big sister proud!)
Anyhow, back to the pit of despair… I love how when I watched this today I found myself laughing. Laughing at the idea that I put myself in the pit, I decide if there is any escape and how long I will wallow in it, and the absurdity of staying there!
So, ciao Pit! I’ve found a few things that I can use as a ladder out of here!
1. An encouragement file… I keep a file of letters, emails, things said about me that are empowering and encouraging! I pull it out when I find myself in the Pit… amazing how that changes things!
2. MUSIC!!!! Some times there is nothing better than a dance party to move on up and out of the stinky pit! Once out of the pit, I love to find music that inspires me…
3. This movie clip… as of today, the pit has become HILARIOUS… and once you can laugh at it, you can shift OUT of IT!!!
4. RUNNING!!!! A good run is a great way for me to clear my mind and get centered
5. Prayer… There is something about connecting with God and focusing on how He sees me that puts my life into perspective!
So, friends… what other ways do you get out of the Pit??? I’d love to add your ideas to my Pit exit strategies!!!